June 24, 2011

Week 11

WE HAVE A HEART BEAT FOLKS!!!

I had my monthly midwife appointment a few days ago, and they were able to pick up the heartbeat with the handheld doppler!  I was really hoping we'd get to hear it, even though I was forwarned that it may be too early to detect it yet.   It only took 30 seconds of searching and there it was!  I was beaming from ear to ear let me tell you.   Because even though I've been feeling so gross, it was still hard for me to believe that there was a growing bean in there.   Blame it on my genetic counselling background, or perhaps on our early loss, but I've had a really hard time getting excited about this baby up until now.  I guess I didn't want to get my hopes up to have them dashed to pieces again.

We aren't completely in the clear yet (but really, when are we ever I suppose) but hearing the heart beat certainly reduces the miscarriage risk, and relieves quite a bit of my worry too!  And in a couple of weeks, we get to SEE him/her for the first time.  I opted for having all the genetic screening, including the NT ultrasound at 12 weeks.  If everything checks out there, we'll FINALLY be able to let the cat outta the bag!

And on to this weeks regular update:


Week: 11 (10w0d to 10w6d)

Weight Gain:  I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight again (thank you diclectin). But nothing extra beyond that.

Feeling: Pretty much the same as last week. A bit of nausea here and there, but the diclectin really takes the edge off.   Feeling very out of shape when I walk anywhere.  Hoping it's because the baby is sucking up all my oxygen, but probably due to lack of any excercise what so ever.  Bad Mamma!  It's hard to think about exercising when you can barely peel your arse off the couch though.

Maternity Clothes: Nothing needed yet, though some days the bloat is worse than others.  No bump to report, which is pretty par for the course at this stage.  Usually the uterus is still tucked all safe behind the pelvic bones until sometime after 12 weeks or so.

Cravings:  Again, nothing out of the ordinary.  It seems that carbs go down well, but really, when do carbs NOT go down well?

Milestones:  Can I get a HEART BEAT - what what!!  Heard the heart beat for the first time - so amazing.

Movement: Nothing changed here.

Weekly Wisdom: Telling close friends before the usual 12 weeks mark can be really helpful.  And besides, if they're close friends, won't you need their support if something bad happens anyways?

Random Name Ideas: Patrick - Logan, Maxim     Amy - Gabriella, Finn, Quentin

No comments:

Post a Comment