October 4, 2011

Week 24 - Papaya!

Whoops - did you see that time warp?  Somehow we jumped from Week 21 to Week 24...now how in the world did that happen?  Oh wait, never mind, I remember now....things got a little hectic and I sort of kind of slacked off - hah.   But not to worry, weeeeeeeeeeeee're back!  And I do mean we, because baby girl is starting to take up a whole lot of real estate around these here parts.

Why so hectic you ask?  Well let's see, it might have had something to do with flying to Italy and back over the course of a single week.   Might I suggest that a trip of that distance is not really a great idea when you only have a week?  We were juuuuuuuuuuuust getting accustomed to the time change when it was time to turn around and head back again.   Ah well, the weather was gorgeous...28 degrees and sunny (dare I say almost too hot - blasphemy I know), the wedding was lovely, as was leisurely strolling around Rome with Patrick's family, and the food was plentiful (mmmmmmmmmmmmm gelato)!

And in baby news - we have reached VIABILITY!!  Medically speaking, viability is the point at which a prematurely born infant has a 50% chance of long-term survival outside of mom's womb.  Of course, we don't want baby girl making an appearance any time soon (hear that little girl, you stay right where you are, snug as a bug in a rug), but it's still an exciting milestone!

She's been kicking up a storm as of late too. Her little staccato beat keeps me entertained through out the day, and I've even felt a few kicks from the outside.  Even more exciting - Patrick was finally able to feel a kick the other day too!  There really IS a baby in there :)

We arrived home from Italy on Wednesday, and both of us took Thursday and Friday off from work to recover from the jet lag. Whose great idea was that again? Oh right - mine - heh.  Turns out the nesting insinct beats out jet lag - who'd have thought.  We managed to clear out a ton of stuff from the second bedroom and dropped it all off at the local thrift store.  Baby girl's closet may actually have room for baby clothes!

And now for the weekly update:

Week: 24 (baby girl is the size of a papaya)!

Weight Gain: I haven't had a chance to way myself in the morning (my usual time) but I did step on the scale the other night and it claimed I was up 15 lbs now.  Between you and me, I think he's lying.  Either that, or all that pasta, pizza and gelato is catching up to me!   

Feeling: On the diclectin front - I'm down to just 2 a day, so I thiiiink I'm finally turning a corner here.  Just in time too, as it looks like I'll be replacing that discomfort for heart burn, round ligament pain, and backaches - haha.  And have I mentioned the night wakings to go to the bathroom?  Yep, that's started already too.  I woke up four times the other night.  FOUR!!  I didn't think THAT was supposed to happen until I got a bit further along.  Stupid small bladder.  Ah well, good practice for when baby arrives I suppose.

Maternity Clothes: We arrived home from summery italy to wintery vancouver, so of course I had to get a couple more pairs of jeans and some new sweaters too! 

Cravings: Truffles!!  And I don't mean the chocolately kind.  Last time we were in Italy I was able to taste truffles (of the fungus variety) for the first time, and boy was I happy to have them again this time - YUM!  And the gelatooooooooooh.  Makes me want to run out and buy myself some right this instant.  Lemon of course.   But as soon as we stepped off the plane and felt the cool autumn breeze, I instantly wanted pumpkin everything! haha.  

Milestones: Viability baby!  And of course feeling baby girls kicks from the outside too :)

Movement:  Lots of movement now.  Thank goodness she's not keeping me up at night with her gymnastics (yet), though she whomped an "oof" out of me the other day, so I am guessing it won't be long now.

Weekly Wisdom:  Stop eating BEFORE you're completely full, unless you enjoy feeling as if your stomach  might explode at any moment!

Random Name Ideas: Lots of ideas from family and friends while we were in Italy: Ludovica, Mercedes, Natasha, Danielle, Delilah, Chiara, Brietta...and so many more that I forget now!

A change in weather equals a more fall-ish photo this week:


And a little bonus - here's a video that Patrick put together of our trip to Italy.  My belly makes an appearance a couple of times, as does my favorite gelato place! 


Signed,
Viable Mama!

2 comments:

  1. Hurray to papaya sized babies! Congrats on reaching the viability mark!...

    I also miss the Italian gelato too. And mmm pumpkin, enjoy some for me, it's just a side dish in Australia, but Pumpkin pie or cookies are very hard to come by out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Nat!! I've definitely been enjoying the pumpkin - already made a batch of pumpkin gingerbread muffins - delish! Do they sell canned pumpkin at all in Australia? It would be a sad day for this gal if I couldn't get my canned pumpkin - hah!

    ReplyDelete