September 6, 2011

Week 20 - Bring on the PINK!!

Well I'm a little late posting this one up, but it was the long weekend and I was feeling lazy (imagine that) AND we were booked in for our anatomy scan this morning, so I knew I'd have exciting news to share anyways.  And so I put off the post until today :)

Now let's get to the exciting news!!  The anatomy scan went VERY WELL this morning - HUZZAH!!  Everything looks normal with no soft markers for chromosomal anomolies - and we found out we're having a GIRL!!!

We were definitely surprised - for some reason I think we were both leaning towards boy....but when the tech said "looks like you're having a little girl" and the 3 tell tale white lines appeared up on the screen (like this picture - which is not ours but you get the idea) we couldn't argue with the evidence - haha!

So it looks like it's sugar and spice and everything nice for us!  And I know I said the first ultrasound made things more real, but both Patrick and I agree, that getting the all clear on this ultrasound, and finding out the sex of the baby, makes it so much MORE real, and so much more exciting too.  It's so nice to be able to say "she" and "her" instead of "it" or "baby" when referring to the pregnancy. And we're already daydreaming about what our little girl will be like, and what amazing things we'll get to experience with her.  It's just so much easier to feel connected to her now!

She was really wriggling around in there during the scan, and when I mentioned that it was hard to  believe I couldn't feel her movements, the tech said there was good reason for it!  Turns out, I have an anterior placenta - that's doctor speak for placenta on the front side (tummy side) of my uterus - and it's acting like a cushion against all of baby girl's kicks and punches!  Which of course, makes so much sense now as any movements I have felt have always been very muffled.  He said I'll be able to feel more definitive movements in the next couple of weeks - yay!

Let's see....what else happened this past week?  Not much can trump the anatomy scan news - haha!  I must say it's been a rather productive week/weekend.  We spent much of it tidying up the house and clearing out a lot of junk from the laundry room, which is now completely reorganized with plenty of room to spare for all our costco purchases.  Yep - the nesting thing really does come in handy!

Hmmmm....I discovered that the dress I purchased for Marc and Fra's wedding went on sale - isn't that always the way it goes? Usually this kind of thing is very frustrating and doesn't work in my favour since I almost always rip off the tags and throw on the new item of clothing about 10 minutes after arriving home. But in this particular case, I hadn't worn the dress;  better yet, I hadn't taken off the tags either; even better still, I was within the 30 day refund window!  So guess who returned the dress and bought it back for a much lower price?  SCORE!! And of course since I was in the store already, I had to take advantage of the great sales they had going on. Picked up a pair of grey cords, a long flowy skirt and a couple of new tops too - DOUBLE SCORE!! 

Oh and I finally hemmed my two pair of maternity jeans so I'm not dragging the cuffs around in the dirt!  Yep - pretty darn productive!  Next weekend we're planning on tackling the second floor including the second bedroom (which will eventually be the nursery) and the den.

And now for the weekly update!

Week: 20 (baby girl is the size of a cantaloupe)!

Weight Gain: I'm up 7lbs altogether.  Still not too bad for half way there, but I must say the last few weeks has been about a pound per week - which is a bit more than they suggest.  I wonder if that has anything to do with my sweet tooth returning?  Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!   

Feeling: Haven't tried to stop the diclectin this week, but I am feeling really great.  Definitely starting to feel the weight of the baby.  Spending the day on my feet in flip flops probably isn't the best idea anymore.  And my hips are starting to get a bit more achey at night - but really - not much to complain about at all!

Maternity Clothes: New cords, skirt and tops for a really great deal - woot woot!  I also splurged and bought myself a few more pairs of maternity underwear from Thyme Maternity.  They really are ridiculously comfortable!

Cravings: My sweet tooth is back!  Just in time for the arrival of halloween candy season - ruh roh!!  Mmmmmmmmmmmpumpkin mellowcremes....I have missed you so!

Milestones: Gee, let me think - oh right - IT'S A GIRL!!!  And a healthy looking one at that - YAY!

Movement: Definitely feeling more movements every day, though still quite muffled.  Baby girl enjoyed kicking my very full bladder this morning before the ultrasound.  I guess it was cramping her style! 

Weekly Wisdom:  Hearing the word "normal" when having an anatomy scan is like music to thine ears :)

Random Name Ideas:  Not many suggestions this week - I think we knew we'd be able to eliminate 50% of the name pool really soon, so we held off - hah.  I have a feeling the name game will pick up with great speed now!

I haven't taken a pic yet this week (bad mama) but I will scan the ultrasound pics and add those tomorrow, and I'll try and take a belly pic tomorrow night too!

Signed,
Girl Lovin' Mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment